2/25/12

Slow Down Nelly!

I am desperately trying not to let my priming the guest bathroom turn into two total bathroom overhauls. My design sensibilities are quickly running faster than my bank account can keep up with. I find myself drooling over these amazing new cork tiles I found via Pinterest . . .



Maybe wanting to change out the lighting to something less Hollywood . . .

And totally jonesin’ for some marble counter tops . . .


BUT, in reality, I really should just be trying to figure out a paint color, right? (Thanks for the suggestions) I have many home decorating fantasies. Yes, they really are fantasies, I dream about decorating sometimes once or twice a week. It’s a sickness. And again, yes, it really does feel like a sickness when you don’t have the funds or talent to pull them off.

There is one fantasy, however, that I think we might actually be able to bring into reality. I love the look of Wainscoting or Board and Batten in a bathroom. It looks great in any room really, but I’ve always had a soft spot for that traditional touch in a bathroom. Both our bathrooms are so small I couldn’t imagine that it’d be too much money or hassle to try our hands at a DIY wall treatment.

Those may be famous last words, but I started to look into the process and what it might cost. There are many tutorials on the subject and lots of information out there to find. I first started to look up the ones I’ve had pinned on Pinterest, you can find them here, here, and here.



Here is what I took away from my quick research:



  1. Board and Batten can typically be accomplished for less money than Wainscoting, especially if you planned on using a Wainscoting Kit to make it a little easier on yourself (like I would).


  2. There seems to be a couple of standard heights for Board and Batten, the lower height is 3 feet and the taller is 5 feet.


  3. There doesn’t seem to be a standard for the width between the vertical boards. I saw everything from 16 inches to 24 inches. Most people stayed bigger than a foots width between the boards, but it was just dependent on their space and airvac returns, light switches, and whatnot.


  4. In order to cut costs on the Board and Batten, you can forgo the Board (the smooth back paneling boards) and just put up the Batten (the vertical boards.)


  5. The costs seemed pretty steady between $100- $250 bucks for a modest sized room.


  6. I totally want to actually price out what it would be to Board & Batten my bathrooms! I can maybe do this!
I don’t want to get too carried away with the bathrooms. I shouldn’t put that much money into the house due to the ever falling Vegas home values, but doing a little somethin’ somethin’ to make our years here more enjoyable isn’t all that bad. I’m excited to have something kind of figured out for the space and to make a trip to Lowes over the weekend and see what I can figure out! Maybe I’m just procrastinating picking a paint color, but I’d like to think I’m making some kind of decision making progress!

No comments: