12/21/13

Pinterest Pickings - Christmas Traditions

Jeff and I are spending this Christmas here in Denver this year. For me, this is my first Christmas away from my family. I'm kind of sad not to be with everyone, but at the same time its kind of fun to think of having Christmas with just the two of us. It also really has me thinking about what Christmas traditions I want to have with our family. Here are some good links I found on Pinterest:


 

 
 

 




Here's a list of my favorites I found while perusing Pinterest:

1) Rudolf's Nose- Get a red ball, "Rudolf's nose," and hide it around the house. The person who finds it gets a prize and hides Rudolf's nose the next day.

2) Flour or toilet paper 'snow' fights.

3) Make a Christmas ornament with your kids each year, or have some kind of Christmas craft night.

4) SMORES!!

5) Every Friday night in December have a family Christmas movie night.

6) Mini-Van Express- Get your family in their pj's, get in the car and drive around to look at lights. Bring popcorn, treats, and hot coco. 

7) Make whip cream or shaving cream beards and take a picture.

8) Blanket forts.

And here's some traditions that Jeff and I have stolen from our families:

9)) Read/act out the Christmas Story from the bible on Christmas Eve.

10) Sleepover under the tree.

11) Open up a present of new Christmas pajamas on Christmas Eve.

12) Food traditions: Christmas Eve Dinner- Ham, funeral potatoes, vegetables, rolls, olives, pie.
      Christmas breakfast: Rice pudding and sausage & egg casserole.
      Christmas dinner: Lasagna



And, I kept my promise to myself for yet another holiday. I made some new Christmas decorations for this year! Here's my house all done up for the Christmas with my new decorations:

 
My map inspired by Emily Henderson

 
 
 
Our tree, advent banner, and chalkboard
 
 
This picture was made from tissue paper from the dollar tree and a free reindeer printout.
 
Here's my new decorations I made this year.



Inspiration for these jarred trees were all over this year, from West Elm to Pinterest. All I had to do was save a few glass jars, purchase some trees for a couple dollars at Walmart, and add some glitter and Epsom salt. (I made the penguin snow globe a few years ago with my little sister at one of our craft nights.)


 I really wanted something for our fireplace, since I've never had a fireplace before. I kept falling in love with these trees at craft stores made with glitter, sequins, and feathers, but I wasn't about to spend $24 for decorative cones that were large enough to make an impact above the fireplace.

I made these for only $2. Yep two bucks. I got my inspiration online here, here and here. I bought 2 large poster boards and a package of white crepe paper streamers from The Dollar Tree. I already had the glitter and Epsom salt.

The two smaller trees are just fringed crepe paper glued on my poster-board-made-cone with glitter stuck on with some good old fashioned hairspray. The larger middle cone was covered with a mixture of glitter and Epsom salt with some Modge Podge. So simple, but I love the way they turned out. Can't beat it for the price.

So that is what's on my mind this Christmas season, missing my family, starting/continuing family traditions, and crafts. I hope everyone has a WONDERFUL Christmas!

1 comment:

laixinjie said...

I remember I had a similar experience, so I know your mood well, good luck, by the way
I like custom photo mugs